Today, social media has created new styles of communication for us, which made huge impact on everyday lives of the people. Social media has brought people with common interests together and expanded the horizon of ideas worldwide. However, there has also been an impact of social media on human behaviour and society.
Human behavior changes more when we dabble with technology especially with social media. The daily use of social media by people has increased so much that it is slowly injecting an inflection into our behavior.
The bad impact of social media:
- Face-to-face interactions which are necessary for developement of personalities, learning social skills and communication skills, have been removed from the lives of people, especially younger generations. Children are having a difficult time interacting with others, which might lead to unsociable behavior.
- Comparison with other lives has been made easy by social media. People become unhappy with their current circumstances, leading to problems with self-esteem and depression.
- Social media use has also been associated with cyberbullying and cyber abuse by anonymous users online, which leads to problems of self-esteem, privacy ,etc.
- Most studies have shown that, social media’s violent games result in increase in violent tendencies and behaviours in children.
- Social media has also been used as tool to spread negativity and rumors online which has lead to increase in the instances of violence in the society. For instance - Recently, the rumours of kidnappers over WhatsApp have led to deaths of innocent people in various parts of India.
- With social media it has become nearly impossible to avoid bad news and the negative influences on our lives. This can lead to long-lasting psychological repercussions and ultimately lead to thoughts of our world falling apart, stress and anxiety.
The good impact of social media:
- Social media can add creativity to our thinking as people can share their views and work with others.
- It allows people to explore and become actively involved without the fear of rejection.
- While no one advocates spending hours after hours gaming, social media games can build social connections, improve a person’s self-efficacy, boost their cognitive flexibility and self-control. They can teach students how to deal with successes and failures in real life.
- Social media connectivity with families, friends and some government safety organizations, has resulted in people feeling safe while moving out.
- LinkedIn is one of the greatest example of how networking over social media has helped people in finding the jobs in domain of their interests.