1.About the company
Godrej Industry Limited is a 120-year-old company registered at Bombay Stock Exchange(BSE) and National Stock Exchange(NSE) under the name of NSE: GODREJCP and BSE: 532424. It is the largest domestic company for home and personal care items in India. It is headquartered in Mumbai. Some of its well-known products include Good knight, Cinthol, Godrej No.1, Godrej Expert, Hit, and Ezee.
The Company follows a 3 X 3 approach for international expansion. It is building a substantial presence in 3 emerging markets (Asia, Africa, and Latin America), across 3 categories (home care, personal wash, and hair care).
Today, the Group enjoys the patronage of 1.1 billion consumers globally, across different businesses. And a total of over 600 million people use a Godrej product on a daily basis.
The company is ranked among the largest household insecticide and hair care players in the emerging markets. In the category of household insecticides, the company is a leader in India, the second-largest player in Indonesia and expanding its footprint in Africa. In hair color segment the company is number-one player in India and Sub-Saharan Africa, and one of the leading players in Latin America. Godrej is also ranked number two in the soaps market in India and is the number-one player in air fresheners and wet tissues market in Indonesia.
Godrej Group is seriously committed to 'Good & Green' approach for creating a more inclusive and greener India. Approximately, its 23 per cent of the promoter holding in the Godrej Group is held in trusts that invest in the environment, health and education.
- 1897- During Swadeshi Movement, Ardeshir Godrej set up a lock company, which turned out to be very successful and later came to be known as Godrej Industries.
- 1918- Launched world's first vegetable oil soap which is made without the use of animal fat.
- 1919- Launched another soap called Godrej No.2.
- 1922- Godrej No.1 Soap was Launched.
- 1952- Cinthol soap was introduced on 15th August, which eventually made them the top competitor in the Indian soap market.
- 1974- Started making hair colour in liquid form. This contributed towards making them a market leader in Asia, Latin America, and Africa in the same segment.
- 1981- Launched Hair Dye in powder form. The liquid form was available since 1974.
- 1994- Acquired Translektra with market leading brands such as Good Knight and Hit, that made Godrej the number one player in the household insecticides category in India and Indonesia.
- Godrej Sara Lee was formed. (Translektra entered into a strategic alliance with Sara Lee USA, which brought in much more to learn and explore over for Godrej the next 17 odd years, including the air freshener brand Ambi Pur, Styling cream, Brylcreem, and Kiwi shoe polish.)
- Good knight enters vaporizer market with the Good knight liquidator and a new liquid mosquito destroyer machine.
- Good knight comes up with the Maha Jumbo Coil.
- 1997- Godrej celebrated its 100 years of success.
- 2001- Godrej Soaps demerged into two separate entities. One, a Chemicals business, Godrej Chemicals, continuing on one of the oldest businesses of the Godrej Group. The other, is a focused FMCG business, Godrej Consumer Products Ltd (GCPL), as Godrej is now known.
- 2005- Acquired Keyline Brands, a personal care brand in the UK. Today, nearly half the revenues come from their international businesses.
- 2007- Good Knight Activ Plus was introduced.
- Godrej Group undertook a massive re-branding exercise. Brighter Living, the new mission for the brand was born.
- Godrej Expert was introduced. Godrej liquid and powder hair colours were re-branded as Godrej Expert.
- The company extended its hair care footprint in Africa.
- GCPL merged with Sara Lee and extended its portfolio to the household insecticide market.
- 3*3 Strategy:
a) Enhanced its presence in Nigeria with Tura, a major personal care brand in Nigeria.
b) Opened up avenues in Latin America by acquiring leading hair colour players- Issue and Argencos.
c) Acquired Megasari, a heavyweight in the home and personal care market of Indonesia.
- Delved deeper into the African market with a partnership with the Darling Group, the number one player in hair extensions in 14 African countries and counting.
- Rebranded Godrej Expert by adding two new variants - Care, with a natural flavour and Advanced, an exciting gel based format.
- Acquired Cosmetica Nacional, a leading hair colourant and colour cosmetics company in Chile.
- Cinthol completed its 60 years. To celebrate this feat, the company made a brand new proposition - Alive is Awesome.
- Expanded the range of variants- added Shower gels to the portfolio.
- Introduced creme in a sachet - Godrej Expert Rich Hair Creme.
- Introduced Good night card.
- Introduced Hit Anti-Roach gel to kill hidden cockroaches.
- 2014- New facewashes, hair care products, hand washes and anti-mosquito spray were introduced.
- 2015- Acquired Frika, for the acquisition of 100% stake in its hair extensions business, which enjoys a premium position in South Africa.
3.Other Brands of GCPL:
3.1 Brands in India
|Home Care||Personal Care||Hair Care|
Godrej Good Knight
|Godrej Aer||Godrej No.1||Godrej Nupur|
|Jammu & Kasmir||Goa|
4.1 GCPL Branches
- Chairman(Godrej Group)- A.B Godrej
- M.D & CEO- Vivek Gambhir
- Executive Chairperson- Nisaba Godrej
|2016-17||Rs. 9,731.28 Crores||Rs. 1307.97 Crores|
|2015-16||Rs. 8,869.17 Crores||Rs. 1166.67 Crores|
|Region||FY 2016-17||FY 2015-16|
|India||Rs. 5,088.99 Crore||Rs.4,883.40 Crore|
|Indonesia||Rs. 1,527.49 Crore||Rs.1,451.19 Crore|
|Africa (including Strength of Nature)||Rs. 1,993.59 Crore||Rs.1,341.25 Crore|
|Other||Rs. 1,121.21 Crore||Rs.1,193.33 Crore|
- GCPL bought out foreign companies such as Keyline Brands Limited (United Kingdom) in 2005, Rapidol (Pty) Limited in 2006, and Godrej Global Mid East FZE in 2007 and the joint venture with SCA Hygiene Products AB, Sweden in 2007.
- GCPL owned a 49% non-controlling share in Godrej Sara Lee Limited (GSLL), an unlisted joint venture between the Godrej Group and Sara Lee Corporation USA, as of early 2010. In May 2010, it acquired Sara Lee's 51% controlling share.
- In 2010, Godrej made several acquisitions, including Indonesian firm Megasari and Tura. In addition, Godrej entered Latin America with the acquisition of Issue Group and Argencos in Argentina, and later acquired Cosmética Nacional, a Chilean company.
- In 2015, Godrej announced it had fully acquired a 100% equity stake in South African hair extensions firm Frika Hair.
- Ranked amongst the best employers in India in the ‘Aon Hewitt Best Employers 2017’ survey
- Ranked #12 on the ‘Great Place to Work – Best Workplaces in Asia 2017’ list
- Ranked #1 in the FMCG category in the ‘Great Place to Work – Best Workplaces in India 2016’ list; they have featured on this list for 13 years in a row!